Participants in the part time (less than 18 clock hours per week) Youth Adventure or Communication Skills program usually come on a B-2 tourist visa or under the visa waiver program.

Students coming for full-time study (18 or more clock hours per week) in the Intensive English, Intensive English for University Studies, or Intensive Academic Preparation courses come on an F-1 student visa. Applicants for an F-1 student visa must submit a bank statement showing enough money to study in our program. For the amount of money needed, calculate the tuition for the period of study plus $1600 per month for estimated living expenses (for individuals.) You can refer to this guide to getting a student visa.

ESI then issues an I-20 form which the student must take to a U.S. consulate or embassy in his or her country. When applying for an F-1 student visa, a student must also show that he or she has paid the $350 SEVIS I-901 fee. To pay the I-901 fee go online to The English Studies Institute is not responsible for delays or denials in the processing of visas. In order to avoid problems, we urge you to apply as early as possible. (Students transferring from schools within the U.S. should submit a Transfer Verification Form.) When you enter the United States, you must have a valid passport, I-20 form, and F-1 visa. Bring all these documents to registration on the first day. For further information about student visas, go to U.S. Department of State Student Visa page.

Health Insurance

Due to the high cost of medical care in the U.S. and the even higher price of hospital costs in Berkeley (which can reach $2,000 – $3,000 per day), ESI requires that each student purchase a health insurance policy before coming to Berkeley. The policy must provide a minimum of $50,000 for each accident or illness and have a deductible of $500 or less. The insurance should cover from the time of leaving the home country until the time of return. Proof of insurance must be submitted to ESI at registration.

Here are a few of many possible companies that offer health insurance for international students. Prices are subject to change. Look carefully at their websites for policies and exclusions. Students can sign up online.

Plan name: Patriot

Click on “Studying Abroad”
Plan name: Study USA – HealthCare

Seven Corners. Progam: InboundGuest